"Chance Favors the Prepared Mind" (or How to Get Lucky)

‘Chance favors the prepared mind.’

– Louis Pasteur

I love this article How to Get Lucky that I ran across on O Magazine online.  We keep hearing about ‘intention’ and the ‘law of attraction’ and other terms and philosophies like this in books like The Secret, etc.  But I have to admit, I think that I finally really understand how it might work to a certain degree that after reading this article which is scientific in its approach.  I just wrote about one of my subjects for Epiphany, Orian Williams, being open to serendipitous occurrences in his life, and I have a lot of serendipity in my life, as we all do, but when I read this and started trying it out, it really has been working to a noticeable degree.  I have been sharing it with my friends, and they are getting similar results…we are all getting ‘luckier’ (and no, not just in that way – get your mind out of the gutter).  We’ve all heard about people’s big breaks or greatest opportunities and how they happened to be ‘at the right place at the right time’ which set them on a path that changed their lives forever.   According to the article, Richard Wiseman, PhD says, ‘being in the right place at the right time is actually all about being in the right state of mind.’  This Brit professor at the University of Hertfordshire in England argues that only 10% of life is truly random, the remaining 90% is actually defined by the way we think!  That seems a little on the high side to me frankly, but nonetheless, the article is only 4 pages and is worth reading if only to read the great and humorous story about a woman who has spent 6 years focussed on only her career and wakes up alone wondering if it was all worth it, and how she changes it all one fateful morning when she hits the cleaners.

It just goes to show – you never know where Chance, Luck, or Love will find us and hit and it’s nice to know how we might be able to prepare for it when it does … or better yet – how to prepare so that it is sure to find and hit us – hard.  Enjoy.

About Elise Ballard

Elise Ballard is the author of Epiphany! a book of inspirational stories, aha moments and exclusive interviews from Random House Publishing
Posted in Advice. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *